Each day is very unique in its own way. As a Fitness Professional I give more than just exercise instruction. My job is not only to design effective fitness programs or educate clients on how to properly perform a squat with proper knee placement. The trainer/client relationship is much more than that. It's called 'personal' training for a reason. I am not only attempting to change someone's body, but their mind also. The following example explains it more clearly:
Last week, prior to a session with a client, D.D., F, mid 40's, was explaining to me how she invited her 30yo friend to workout with her. This friend was a regular at the gym, yet she has never worked with a trainer to my knowledge. D.D. told me that she 'kicked her friend's butt' throughout their workout. Now, before I continue, I don't believe that an individual's fitness level is in any way related to the next person's level but it's only human nature to sometimes grade ourselves against someone else, especially those of us with a competitive mindset such as myself. Anyway, D.D. was very excited to realized how much she's improved the past 3 months since working with me. Victory for D.D.! She ran a mile non-stop for the first time and had energy to keep going if she wanted. Victory! As her trainer, these things did not surprise me in the least bit because I've recognized her progression and had confidence that she could do these things before she realized them. I really knew she 'arrived' when she told me this: She was at home feeling very lethargic and knew the only way to get out of that mental funk was to go to the gym and stimulate her mind and her body. She went, and the stimulation occurred. I proceeded to tell her that she 'made it'. Feeling that she didn't really understand what I meant, I explained to her that physical training not only affects us from a physiological standpoint but a psychological one also. Not too get too deep metaphysically, our minds and bodies are connected in subtle and obvious ways that we sometimes overlook. D.D. is at the point where fitness is now a solid part of her life and she needs it. Victory for me! This is what I love about training people. To see them transform their minds into realizing that it is not hard at all to make positive changes that will literally save their lives. Remember, fitness is more than a number on a scale. Fitness is also being able to physically perform at a higher level than you were previously on. All else will fall into place.
We all have good days, not so great days and so-so days at the gym. It's natural. As long as you show up, it is never a bad day! I tell my clients that if it's a scheduled day to workout and they are not up to it, just come in for a short time do a little bit of something and leave. A little bit of something is better than a lot of NOTHING! It is not necessary to kill yourself every time you workout. Some days we can go all out and some days we need to taper it back a tad. My job as a trainer is to recognize this and keep you at that edge. I provide physical and mental tools to help my clients succeed yet I am only 50% of the equation. Clients must regulate their nutrition as well as motivate themselves to train when they are not working with me. I CAN SHOW YOU THE DOOR, BUT YOU MUST WALK THROUGH IT.
No comments:
Post a Comment
The comments expressed on this blog are purely the opinion of the individual who wrote it.