Effective goal-setting is very important. No matter if it's a fitness goal, financial goal or a life goal, you must have a solid blueprint in order to achieve it. It is key to establish short and long term goals. Each short-term goal should be a 'stair-step' towards your ultimate goal. BE SPECIFIC! Goals should not be vague like, "I want to get in shape" or "I want to save more money". Better goals could be "I want to lower my body fat% to 15%" or "I will save $100 per paycheck". Specific goals cause changes in behavior which is necessary to change our lives. Also, be sure goals are realistic, yet moderately challenging. If they are too lofty you run the risk of frustrating yourself and abandoning the process altogether. Keeping good records of your progress is a good way to hold yourself accountable. Something amazing happens when we see things in writing as opposed to relying on our memories. There may be bumps in the road as you progress, so it is important to understand this at the outset so you will be able to jump those hurdles. Never attempt to take on too much at once. Sometimes in life we try to handle everything at once. I see this everyday in my field. As a Personal Trainer, some clients expect that 'magic pill'. They get frustrated if they have not lost that extra 50lbs. they've been carrying after only 8 weeks of training. It's easy to forget that it took 20 years to put on that weight, so it will definitely take some time to take it off. Be patient, yet vigilant at the same time. Remember, you must change your mind if you want to change your life. View your life as a constant evolution. Change can be a wonderful thing if it enhances your sense of worth. As I have stated to those close to me, "I am who I have always been but I am not yet the man I will be". Evolve! Be Better!
-B.Terry
No comments:
Post a Comment
The comments expressed on this blog are purely the opinion of the individual who wrote it.